Alpharius is hand down my favourite model Games Workshop (Forgeworld) has ever produced. Primarch of the Alpha Legion, Alpharius is one of the 18 primarch charecter series for the Horus Heresy. I currently use him as my Chaos Lord for my Warhammer 40k Alpha Legion Army.
I decided to re-paint my Alpha Legion early last year, finding the original grungy paint job didn't really stand out on the table. The old schemes low contrast made reading the silhouette on the table difficult, and while I am a huge fan of Streak and Grime, I definitely went overboard on the army.
The new Scheme is a bright Turquoise with shades of purple and green, inspired by the cover of Sons of the Hydra, with NMM dark steel trim.
- Vellejo Black Primer 74.602
- Vellejo Heavy Violet 72.142
- Vellejo Turquoise 70.966
- Vellejo Blue Green 70.808
- Vellejo Ice Yellow 70.858
- Vellejo German Grey 70.995
- Vellejo White 70.951
- Citadel Shyish Purple Contrast Paint
- Basecoat Vellejo Black Primer
- 50/50: Vellejo Heavy Violet/Vellejo Black Primer
- Highlight with pure Vellejo Heavy Violet in all but darkest recesses/shadows.
- Stipple 50/50: Heavy Violet/Vellejo Turquoise on the largest highlight areas
- Gradually add more Vellejo Turquoise to the mix, highlighting up to pure Turquoise
- Edge Highlight the scales and highest points with Vellejo Blue Green
- Add Ice Yellow to the Blue Green and pick out smaller and smaller areas, until the very finest point is 50/50 Ice Yellow/Blue Green.
- In shadow areas, glaze a very thined coat of shyish purple contrast paint
- Base coat Vellejo Black Primer.
- Stipple Vellejo German Grey highlights over 90% of the trim leaving only darkest recesses.
- Add Ice Yellow to German Grey stippled in progressivly lighter layers until pure ice yellow
- Edge highlight with a mix of 50:50 White/Ice Yellow
- Highlight the very edges and points with pure White